Projects and Plans
A review of Iran’s oil history shows that oil has accelerated not only the economic growth, but also development of host communities like Abadan in the 1940s, movie industry, translation of books into Persian, universities, English learning and even some sports like football or tennis.
Today, Iranian society pins hope on attracting investment and transfer of technology in the oil and gas sector. Tying Iranian and global economies and benefiting from the security and economic privileges of connection to this network of oil and gas has already started and will continue on the same path due to relative advantages for some time.
Better air quality in cities, recued greenhouse gas emissions and preparations for technological advancement in the manufacturing of home appliances are influenced by energy price reforms, upgrading and transferring technology and reducing energy consumption in the Iranian oil and gas industry.
Diversity in the Iranian economy and subsequently job creation and poverty reduction, environmental quality improvement and increased viability and reduced incidence of social violence are to some extent caused by the oil and gas industry performance, the political economy of this industry and associated reforms.
The Ministry of Petroleum has also conducted studies, made preparations and carried out necessary measures with a view to playing an effective role in the better performance of the petroleum industry regarding social responsibility vis-à-vis society and the environment.
The measures and preparations conducted so far in various industrial, transportation and construction sectors, each of which having both direct and indirect impacts on various aspects of social responsibility:
• Formulating and drawing up criteria, regulations, standards, and executive bylaws needed for regulating the market and fuel consumption;
• Contributing to the development of using various modern technologies for energy conversion in various sectors of consumption;
• Reducing long-terms costs of energy demand;
• Financial and scientific support for the activities of non-state sector, research institutes and universities in upgrading energy saving technologies and preparing scientific ground for energy consumption management;
• Economical replacement of associated energy products by developing the use of potential of local energy and renewable energies;
• Developing the culture of efficient energy use in the society;
• Supporting energy saving projects pursuant to Article 12 of Law on Removing Obstacles to Competitive Production
Another level of social responsibility in the petroleum industry pertains to development of localities and assemblies hosting the industry. Whatever has passed over the past decades in Kharg Island, Khuzestan Province, South Pars gas field and in West Karoun may be analyzed within the framework of petroleum industry social responsibility.
The main idea, enshrined in the concept of creating common values, is that the success of corporates and the quality of life of host assemblies are interdependent. To succeed, these corporates need morally healthy urban and social activity, sustainable environment, skilled manpower and minimized social tensions. To guarantee a high-quality life, communities would need successful, innovative and economically stable companies. Therefore, the petroleum industry is required to assist in the creation of a social system with a view to helping its activities through synergy.
The literature and experience of social responsibility in the world shows that to reach this objective, companies would undertake such measures as upgrading the environmental performance standards, helping social charity institutes, voluntary social activities, suppling products with clear social objectives, supporting special social campaigns, and various forms of social marketing. They are all classified under social responsibility.